Click on the Lactation Support category or scroll down the page.
Lactation Support: Local Lactation Consultants
- Beyond Birth Lactation with Leslie Stern CNM, IBCLC and Lorraine Rocco RN, IBCLC. Offering virtual consults. In network with BCBS, UHC, Cigna, Aetna, and Tricare (certified out of network provider). (919) 381-8781
- Bliss at the Breast with Jessica Altemara, IBCLC. (919) 260-7202, Jessica.Altemara@gmail.com. BATB offers a variety of services to families including functional assessments, complete breastfeeding support, groups, prenatal consults, bottle consults, and weaning support.
- Mattea’s Lactation Services with Mattea Alexander, IBCLC. Text: (617) 959-4333; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or Submit contact form. Providing newborn and infant feeding consultations virtually and in-person. Services in English and Spanish. Todos los servicios vienen en español.
Out-Patient/Office Visits: Lactation Support in Orange County
UNC Women’s Hospital Lactation Service, Chapel Hill, 984-974-8078
IBCLCs see families for regular well-baby visits, as well as parents with breastfeeding concerns such as pain, low milk supply or postpartum depression. They also offer prenatal consultation for parents who have a history of breastfeeding difficulties or are expecting twins or triplets and consults for adoptive mothers considering induction of lactation. Breastfeeding Medicine clinic for medical issues impacting breastfeeding.
Women’s Birth and Wellness Center, Chapel Hill, 919-933-3301
A nonprofit birth center that providing primary care and lactation services; accepts private insurance, Medicaid, and self pay patients; provides appointments for primary care, maternity and lactation services.
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
WIC provides nutrition and breastfeeding support to qualifying families with children under 5. WIC can provide food, breast pumps, classes and support groups to new parents.
Piedmont Health WIC Program Office Locations
WIC currently is providing all services remotely in order to protect the safety of our WIC participants during the COVID-19 pandemic. All WIC services continue to be available by phone during normal WIC business hours. Please call the WIC office that is closest to where you live to talk directly to our staff, or fill out the online WIC Referral Form. New & Established participants always welcome!
Orange County Health Department, Whitted Human Services Center
300 West Tryon Street
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Telephone: 919-245-2400 (For Appointments, Press 2)
Hours: Monday, 8 am-5 pm; Tuesday, 9:30 am-6:30 pm; Wednesday, 10am-5pm; Thursday, 8am-5pm; Friday, 8am-noon.
Breastfeeding Support Groups, Meetings, and Classes
Chapel Hill La Leche League
La Leche League of Chapel Hill offers a number of free breastfeeding groups during the month. Currently, all meetings are online via zoom. Check out the LLL of Chapel Hill website for the Zoom ID and for Leader names and numbers, if you need help before a meeting or anytime.
- Morning Meeting – First Friday of Each Month at 10am
- Evening Meeting – Second Wednesday of Each Month at 7pm
- Family Meeting – Second Saturday of Each Month at 10am
- Toddler Meeting – Third Wednesday of Each Month at 10am
Women’s Health Education Center-NC Women’s Hospital
The Women’s Health Education Center offers breastfeeding classes. All breastfeeding classes are virtual at this time. Check out the calendar of events for dates and times, or email email@example.com / call 984-974-8882, for more information or for help registering for a class.
Womens Birth and Wellness Center (WBWC) Breastfeeding Café
The WBWC Breastfeeding Café is held via Zoom on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday of each month. The Breastfeeding Café is an informal meet-up with an IBCLC on hand to answer basic breastfeeding questions and provide information.
Durham La Leche League
La Leche League of Durham offers free breastfeeding/chestfeeding/human milk feeding peer-to-peer support groups each month. Currently, all meetings are online. Check out the LLL of Durham website for the meeting links and contact information for Leaders, if you need help before a meeting or anytime.
- Daytime Meeting – First Wednesday of Each Month at 10am
- Evening Meeting – Second Monday of Each Month at 6:30pm
- Daytime Meeting – Third Thursday of Each Month at 10:30am
Nursing Mothers of Raleigh
Nursing Mothers of Raleigh (NMR) are now hosting VIRTUAL public meetings.
- 1st Thursday of Each Month at 7:00pm
- 3rd Thursday of Each Month at 9:30am
Free Phone Support
When you need support between meetings, La Leche League (LLL) of Chapel Hill can offer free phone support. All of the LLL of Chapel Hill Leaders listed below have been accredited by La Leche League International.
- Andrea, 267-566-2394
- Angela, 919-593-7761
- Becky, 919-923-0074
- Betsy, 919-536-9874
- Carrie, 919-259-9485
- Christina, 919-599-7614
- Jahmekya, 573-397-1101
- Joelle, 773-733-3478
- Julie, 919-244-5705
- Margo, 919-260-4444
- Marina, 301-509-9711
- Pam, 919-417-5170
- Tanisha, 757-274-8648
- Tracy, 919-259-1701
In addition to local breastfeeding support, you can reach out to regional and national breastfeeding support.
- Appalachian Breastfeeding Network (888-588-3423) Have a breastfeeding question? Call to speak with a lactation professional. It is free hotline and anyone can call. You do not need to live in Appalachia to call.
- LLL USA (877-452-5324 / 877-4-LALECHE) Looking for breastfeeding/chestfeeding/human milk feeding support? LLL USA is committed to helping families reach their nursing goals. LLL USA offers a toll free warmline service. Calls are returned by LLL Leaders, who are trained parent volunteers offering free information and support to help you.
Parenting Support Groups and Meetings
A full-service birth and postpartum doula agency offering the following free support groups and meetups:
New Moms Groups, Moms of Color Group, Perinatal Mood Group, New Dads Meet-up, LGBTQ New Parent Group.